Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Sourdough Starter and Bread Recipe.

Hey Y'all!!! Day after Christmas so I went out braved the stores early this morning!! Guess what.. I SCORED!!!
Went to Wal-mart and snagged another shelf to add into my pantry (my stock is just growing like a weed) YAY! 
Then I hit up Value Village and scooped up a few mason jars and this!
 A Black and Decker Vacuum Sealer!! My mason jars and food guard.. grand total of 10 dollars. Can you say a steal of deal? I'd say!! Okay, onto the point of the blog. Have you ever had homemade sourdough bread? No? Is it easy you ask? YES of course it is!! Low maintenance, and super easy! Here ya go bloggers!! 



Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) of active-dry yeast
2 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees F.)
You leave this lightly covered with a kitchen towel for 6 days.
Feed it every other day 1 cup flour and 1 cup warm water. (take a note pad and leave it by your starter listing days 1 - 6 day 1 being the day you put this bad boy together)
After day six transfer to a plastic container with a lid and put it in your fridge when ready to use.

Now when you use this starter, you must re feed it. So for my bread recipe I use 1 1/2 cups of my starter. So when I take it out. I add back 1 1/2 cups flour and 1 1/2 cups water and let it sit for overnight and put it back into my plastic and to the fridge again. I know it's soooooo hard!! LOL

Okay, for 1 loaf of my yummy sourdough.

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
3/4 teaspoon salt

Put it in your mixer and let it mix till it no longer sticks to the sides of your bowl.

In a lightly oiled bowl cover and let rise 1 1/2 hours
after that take it back out and knead out all air pockets and form into your desired shape (I shape mine into a rectangle to fit into my loaf pan) but you can do a bread bowl or anything.

lay on a floured surface and cover lightly with a kitchen towel and let rest 1 more hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 1 hour

Your bread with have a dark crust and if you knock on the bottom should sound hollow. 



Enjoy y'all!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment