Monday, February 4, 2013

Canned Beef Stew

Hey y'all!!! Today was my big grocery shopping day and I found 6lbs of stew meat on sale along with about 10lbs of chicken breast on sale!! So I'm canning beef stew today and I thought I would share with y'all!!!

Whatcha need:
12 quart mason jars with matching rings and lids
Jar lifter
Non-metalic Spatula
Canning funnel
Beef Stew Recipe

Beef Stew Recipe:
1 tbs oil
6lbs Stew Meat (when I bought mine it was already cut, but you could always buy your favorite cut and cut it into 1 inch cubes)
15 small carrots sliced
3 onions cubes
6 large potatoes or 12 small
4-5 celery stalks sliced (I didn't add this to my recipe today cause my non caffeinated brain forgot to pick it up)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1tbs garlic powder

Take your Stew meat and toss it in a frying pan and brown meat in the 1tbs of oil.

While your meat is browning chop peel and slice all your vegetables and place into a large stockpot




Drain off meat and toss it in with your vegetables, and cover with hot water or beef broth, I do a combo of both, bring to a boil.

While your stew is coming up to a boil sanitize your jars lids and rims. Place jars in a 200 degree oven to keep hot, use your jar lifter to remove them from the oven.

Once your stew is brought to a boil, laddle hot stew into jars leaving 1inch headspace.
Using your non-metalic spatula remove the air bubble from your jars and wipe rims of jars with a damp towel, I usually put a little vinegar on my towel to cut through the grease from the meat.

Process quarts for 1 hour and 30 min
Process pints for 1 hour 15 min

Wait 3-6 after removing your jars from the canner and be sure all have sealed properly, store and enjoy within 1 year :)



No comments:

Post a Comment