Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Candied Jalapeno's aka Cowboy Candy

Hey y'all!! Today has already been a busy day, our washer went out on us so I had to call the local repair guy and schedule him to come out tomorrow to give it a look, ugh!  On the bright side I got to spend the afternoon with my dad shopping and having lunch with him and small man. We went to value village where I picked up more canning jars, 8 to be exact all wide mouth quart jars. We also went to walmart and I picked up a few goodies there, including the stuff to try out these wonderful candied jalapenos. 

This recipe has been floating around facebook so I had to give them a try, a few of my followers make them and have told me they are delicious! 


The directions I have are for canning candied jalapenos. You also have the option to leave these in the fridge but I prefer them to be shelf stable. 

What ya need:
  • Large stock pot with lid and rack
  • jar lifter 
  • non metalic spatula 
  • pint jars with rings and lids
  • Cowboy Candy recipe


Cowboy Candy Recipe:
  • 3 lbs jalapenos 
  • 2 cups vinegar ( I used white )
  • 6 cups white granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric 
  • 1/2 tsp celery seed
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper (powdered)
  • 3 tps garlic powder

When slicing your jalapenos REMEMBER TO WEAR GLOVES.. I cannot stress this enough. Do not try without gloves, I promise you WILL be SORRY. 





Slice your jalapenos into 1/4 inch slices and set in a large bowl


After your jalapenos are sliced take your sugar, vinegar, turmeric, celery seed, garlic and cayenne and combine in a large pot and bring to a boil. 

CAUTION: This has a very potent smell and will burn if you try to take a whiff of it, so don't hover over the pot. 


Once brought to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. 

Dump all your jalapenos into the syrup and simmer for 4 minutes. 


Using a slotted spoon of some sort spoon the jalapenos into your sterilized jars. 



I brought my syrup back up to a boil after removing the jalapenos and let it boil for about another 3-5 minutes. 

Ladle hot syrup into jars to cover your jalapenos. 

Process using a boiling water bath for 15 minutes for pint jars. 

Allow to cool and make sure all your jars have properly sealed. Let sit for 2 weeks so that all those wonderful flavors can merry together. 



No comments:

Post a Comment