Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Dehydrated Beef Roast

Hey there everyone! It's Tuesday and my back is doing a bit better, still really stiff and sore but I can move! I've got a few projects to do today, mainly with food storage but I have a couple extra's in there for you.

I have had a few requests on facebook asking how I dehydrate my meats.  Right now I am running a test to see how long my dehydrated meats will be shelf stable, stored correctly. In a mason jar vacuum sealed with an O2 absorber in with the meat.


I took a 2lb roast that I bought on sale at the grocery store and boiled it for about 4 hours.

I then let it cool overnight in the fridge and let all the extra juice come off of it.

The next morning I pulled it out and trimmed off ALL the extra fat on the roast and cut it into 1/2 inch cubes.

Lay out your meat evenly onto 2 trays and let it dry fro 2 hours at 145.

After 2 hours drop your temp down to 125 and continue to dry for 6 hours.

Make sure to check your meat to make sure there is no moisture left in the middle, just break a piece in half to test.

I have been told that it can last up to a year if sealed properly, some say only 3 months, I tested this at 3 months and it was still delicious in my stew. I have some set aside to test once a month to see if it rehydrates properly and the taste is still fine. I will update you at the 6 month mark to let you know how it lasted.



This photo is of my stew meal in a jar sealed properly. This is also how I store my dehydrated foods. This is just an example of proper storage for dried foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment