Monday, February 18, 2013

Seedlings!!!

It is that time of year again!! Spring is upon us and we have the fever!!! I myself have gotten all 3 of my garden beds prepped and filled with dirt and manure. I have started a few of my colder weather seedlings (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and a variety of peas) and some of my indoor container plants as well like my jalapenos!!!

So in honor of spring I wanted to give some alternative/repurposing tips to save you money on seedling starters!!!

Grow your seedlings in eggshells. Yes I said eggshells, crack open your egg when making breakfast and save the shell halves. Fill with dirt then plant seedlings in them! When replanting you don't even have to remove them from the shell. Just break a the shell on the bottom to allow the roots to grow!







Eggshell Cartons. Fill with dirt then plant your seedlings!



Take an old paper towel roll and cut into thirds...

 I make 4 cuts in the bottom as shown

 and fold them over tape it shut.

 When it's time to transplant just remove tape, unfold and place in the ground :)


I hope that these have given you some ideas on how to get your seedlings going without paying the price for those expensive seedling pods :)

4 comments:

  1. I've used egg shells and newspaper pots, but never seen the tp rolls. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm saving my egg shells and TP rolls too. I've never done it before so looking forward to seeing the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been doing the egg trick too this year. I saw newspaper rolled up on another blog. Great ideas. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete